War Memorials

"Lest We Forget"

LCpl Frederick Charles Grundy.jpg
Private W Hardy.jpg
Cpl Harold Fitton Smethurst.jpg
Private Ernest Beswick.jpg
Private James Deakin.jpg
Corporal William Revett.jpg
Private Joseph Wimbush.jpg
Ordinary Seaman Edward Carney.jpg
Ord Seaman T Harris.jpg

Grateful Thanks to
J Carmont
& our lovely friend Jean Harrop

Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project
 Remembers The Fallen
1914 - 1918

IMG_3137.jpg

They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them.

(fourth stanza from Laurence Binyon's poem For the Fallen 1914)

IMG_3294.jpg
IMG_3296.jpg

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

These Brave Men who gave their lives are commemorated on a Family Grave or have a Commonwealth Grave
in the Manchester General Cemetery     

Collyhurst War Memorial
IMG_3110.jpg
IMG_3107.jpg
IMG_3301.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg
IMG_3303.jpg
IMG_3112.jpg
IMG_3109.jpg
IMG_3302.jpg
IMG_3111.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

The site of Hall’s Crescent on Rochdale Road for the War Memorial to be erected by public subscription was humbly presented by John Hulbert Junr Esq., of Manchester. The unveiling took place on Friday 25th May 1923 by the Rt Hon. Edward George Villiers Stanley, 17th Earl of Derby K.G. Secretary of State for War. Many Thousands of people witnessed the unveiling and Ceremony.  At the time 430 men who were killed in action or died of wounds are inscribed on the stone which is surmounted by a cross. Rev. G. H. Proctor of Albert Memorial Church gave a brief service and dedicated the memorial. After which a number of wreaths were at the foot of the memorial.

Blackley War Memorial

133.jpg

©MGCTP

The Blackley War Memorial stands at Boggart Hole Clough near the old flagstaff on the upper slopes overlooking the village, the first sod for the foundation of the Memorial was cut by Mr John Singleton on Saturday 6th November 1920.

A Memorial committee consisting of representatives of all religious bodies and works in the district and the people of Blackley had already subscribed nearly the whole cost of £2600, awarding the commission to Frederick Roslyn, London Sculptor.

IMG_4360 - Copy_edited.jpg

2019

©MGCTP

The unveiling ceremony took place on Saturday 28th May 1921 at 3.30pm by Dr Herbert Levinstein, Ph.D, M.Sc.,  (a director of the British Dyestuffs Corporation (Ltd)  A large crowd endured the driving rain while the ceremony of unveiling was in progress. The Rev. E. G. F. Macpherson, C.M.G., C.B.E. Assistant Chaplain-General of the Western Command, dedicated the memorial, and the Lord Mayor Alderman Kay, of Manchester accepted custody of the memorial on behalf of the city. The procession was headed by the band of the 7th Manchester Regt., leading the singing.  A firing party and the ‘Last Post’ and ‘Reville’ were sounded.

IMG_4339 - Copy.JPG

©MGCTP

IMG_4377 - Copy.JPG

©MGCTP

341 men of Blackley who lost their lives are remembered. The Memorial of Stone and bronze stands 28ft high, the tall pedestal is surmounted by an alighting bronze figure the Winged Angel of Victory holding in each hand a wreath and wheat, and the four corner figures representing the Army, Navy, Air Force and Nurses are in bronze. A bronze wreath is grafted to the base of the column and a raised panel with the words   “Their Name Liveth Forever More.”

2019

the bronze wreath, two small bronze plaques and the four bronze figures on plinths are no longer existing.

IMG_4351 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG

©MGCTP

IMG_4354.JPG
IMG_4370.JPG

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP