St Joseph's

Roman Catholic

Cemetery

©MGCTP

St Joseph's Cemetery, situated on Moston Lane, Moston. On the afternoon of Sunday 1st Aug 1875 the Cemetery was consecrated by Bishop Vaughan of Salford.  Dedicated to the patriarch 'St Joseph' under his title of 'Patron Of A Happy Death.'  A large number of spectators attended, the Bishop was met at the main entrance by a procession of clergy.  A small pink brick building stood in the centre of the ground, it was the temporary Chapel until a new worthier structure is erected.  Due to the Chapels Altar not being completed the remains of the 'Martyrs' which were presented to the current Bishop by a late Venerable Patriarch of Venice, were not able to be placed in the shrine to repose, this part of the service had to be deferred.  The Bishop delivered a short service and address in the Chapel.  Leaving the Chapel the procession walked to a portion of the Cemetery which has been marked out for future burials of Bishops, Canons and Clergy.  A large cross has been erected here with a crown of thorns, a spear and other emblems upon it.  The proscribed service spoken and similar services performed at four other crosses in different parts of the Cemetery, an Episcopal blessing was given and the ceremony concluded.
 

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

25 August 1876 the remains of the late Bishop of Salford the Right Reverend William Turner,  Revs Francis Conway, Thomas Kelly, William Green, Camillus A. D'Hont and John Darley were re-interred with Ceremony and requiem mass, having been translated from Salford Cemetery.  A large amount of Clergy and general public attended the ceremony.  It was felt at Salford Cemetery whilst blessed was not consecrated and that as a more holy place established, St Joseph's, that their remains should rest near to the remains of the 'Martyrs' who fought the same fight. Held the same faith, received the same sacraments and who died in the same hope.

©MGCTP

Monday 2nd August 1904 (a public holiday) the Cemetery's new extension of 14 acres and Santo Campo was consecrated by Bishop of Salford Dr Casartelli on fine weathered day and attended by a large Roman Catholic public.
The Santo Campo was designed by Mr Oswald C. Hill, Architect, who modelled it on the famous burial places of North Italy.  A three sided building forming half a quadrangle, main cloister 120ft long, two wings 60ft long, in early English Style.  Beneath the cloisters a basement for interments with the addition of a special Bishops Vault, (has already received the remains of Bishop Bilsborrow) central to the main corridor.  Clergy vaults on the right and left and the rest of the basement set aside for laity.
A procession of Clergy, Bishop of Salford, Mgr Gadd, the Abbott Geudens, Canons Richardson, Mussely, Boulaye, Corbishley, Lynch and Tynan. present proceeded down St Joseph's Walk to the new building Low mass celebrated by Canon Mussely,  leading the singing were a choir and instrumentalists. The new alter being used for the first time the Bishop gave an account of the name 'Santo Campo' holy field.

Sunday 7th November 1875 the relics of S. Urban, St Lucidianus and S. Prospero 'The Martyrs' were solemnly translated to the Cemetery by the Bishop of Salford and Clergy in the company of a large attendance of the public and as it wound the wall of the cemetery it was very imposing. The function was carried out with all the solemnity which the ceremonial of the Catholic Church admits of these occasions. The Relics were carried upon a bier on the shoulders of fours priests who wore red copes and a high canopy was held over them by four others.  The Bishop preached on the occasion the subject his discourse being the 'Marytrs'

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

Monday 2 Aug 1909 the remains of eleven priests were translated to Moston Cemetery to be re-interred from St Augustine’s RC Church Granby Row, Chorlton on Medlock. A large number of clergy and public attended. Requiem mass celebrated at Santo Campo by the Bishop of Shrewsbury. After mass the Bishop of Salford Dr. Casartelli addressed the congregation.
 

The Priest Interred:
The Rev. Roland Broomhead died 1820,
Rev. John Rickaby died 1821,
Rev. Thomas Parkinson died 1821,
Rev. John Ashurst died 1824,
Rev. James Smith died 1827,
Rev. Thomas Maddocks died 1829,
Rev. Henry Gillow died 1837,
Rev. John Laytham 1838,
Rev. John Parson died 1838, 
Rev. John Ward died 1838,
Rev. John Billinton died 1845.

 

©MGCTP

©MGCTP


Moston Cemetery does not have a burials website to search.
If you do wish to enquire about a possible burial of an ancestor in the Cemetery you can contact the Office. They are happy to help.
We believe the Office may charge a fee/donation for a search and they do require the death date.

©MGCTP

©MGCTP

©MGCTP2010-2020