Gorton Cemetery, Thornwood Ave, opened Thursday 26th July 1900.
Manchester Parks and Cemeteries committee discussed the need for a Public Cemetery to cover the areas of Gorton, Openshaw, Longsight and Droylsden 12th Feb 1891 saying the need was urgent. 1st May 1891 Manchester City Council entered into negotiations with Mr Bridgford for the purchase of a plot of 32 acres of land that was offered for the purposes of a Cemetery, with a Mortuary and Chapel with boundary walls being built at the cost of £15,000.
For the opening Ceremony, all met at Council Offices Hyde Road and the Procession proceeded to the Cemetery headed by the band of St Joseph's Industrial School. The Chairman of the Council Mr M. Bushell, Chairman of Cemetery Committee Mr H. Dean, Clerk Mr. Samuel Berry, other members of Council and ex-members of technical Instruction Committee, Council Workmen and leading Residents of the District attended.
Chairman of the Cemetery Committee Mr H. Dean opened the Cemetery by opening the Gates with a Golden Key which had been presented to him, followed by a prayer offered by Rev. Thomas Armstrong (Baptist).
The Procession then marched around the grounds, as hymn 'O'God, Our Help In Ages Past' was sung. This was followed by a short service by Rev. T. Armstrong, Rev. John Williams and Rev. George Evans.
GORTON CEMETERY WAR GRAVES
April 1926 Commonwealth War Graves commission applied to Manchester Parks and Cemeteries Committee for, and was granted, a piece of land for a War Memorial within the Cemetery.
9 Nov 1926 the War Memorial erected to the workers at Belle Vue Zoological Gardens who fell in the War was unveiled. It was a simple service attended by over two thousand people.
The memorial, an allegorical composition executed by Mr F. W. Blundstone, with names of the fallen inscribed on scrolls and was unveiled by Mr Angelo Jennison and dedicated by Rev W. Scott Adams. A minutes silence was observed followed by the buglers of 3rd company Manchester Battalion. B.L.B. sounded the last post. At the close of service Wreaths were laid.
Later War Memorials were placed at the Cemetery.