Buried Stories 4
camera 1 241_edited.jpg
Albert Abel_edited.jpg

Accidental Death of a Mother

Thursday 15th January 1857, Matilda Caroline Hawkins a mother aged 30 years wife of James Hawkins, a spinner from Ordsall Lane, Salford,  sat before the fire with a baby on her knee dosing, when her little five year old boy lighted a chip and accidentally set her clothing on fire. Running from the house with her clothing in flames, neighbours quickly extinguished the flames and she was taken to the Infirmary where she died from her injuries on Saturday 17th January.  An inquest was held at the Royal Infirmary and a verdict of ‘Accidental Death’ was returned. Matilda was buried in the Manchester General Cemetery Thursday 22nd January 1857 in a Non Conformist Public Grave.


Fatal fall over a Wall

David Hall aged 46 years a mechanic in the employment of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company died after an accident which occurred a few weeks before his death.  David was working in Miles Platting and was heard by two workmen groaning at the foot of a wall 12ft to 15ft high which supports the embankment and was taken to the Infirmary.  Speaking to his wife he said he saw a man beckoning to him and as he went to meet the man he fell over the wall. At the inquest a jury returned a verdict of ‘accidental death’ and that a wall or fence was recommend to the Railway Company prevent others falling at the same place.  David left a wife and five children and was buried in the Manchester General Cemetery on Sunday 26th October 1856 in Non Conformist Public Grave NC179. 


Neglected Case of Cholera

James Hyde, aged 41 years residing at 1 Court, Dyer’s Passage, Dyer’s Lane, Deansgate, a soil man in the employment of Manchester Corporation died Tuesday 3 October after an attack with the symptoms of Cholera on Sunday night. Mr Stott, the Medical Officer being out of town, James received no medical help until he visited Mr Stott’s Assistant and Mr Mann, a surgeon in Deansgate around midday on Monday. He died in the early hours of Tuesday morning.  James’s home is surrounded by numerous ash pits which contain stagnant water and emitting an offensive stench.  After his death the Nuisance Inspector had been called to the area.  James’s funeral took place very quickly after his death and was buried in Manchester General Cemetery on Wednesday 4th October 1854 paid for by the Workhouse in Public  Grave NC4 U.G.


Fatal Scalding

Richard Bolton aged 47 years, 18 Dyche St, Back Rochdale Road, died after having an accident where he was employed by Messrs. Vaughan & Co., Richard had previously been frequently cautioned before for standing on the sloping edge of the boiler pushing pieces of cloth down into the boiler as it was dangerous and slippery and was told stand on the pathway between the two boilers.  Again he was asked to come down but replied there was ‘no danger has he wasn’t wearing his clogs’ to which he then fell into the boiling liquid, due to the smoke he could not be seen by his colleagues after hearing him shout, they managed to pull him out.  Richard died three weeks after the accident due to severe scalding. Richard leaves a wife and two children. His interment took place at Manchester General Cemetery on 13th November 1853 in

Public Grave NC1340.1


Cyclists Fatal Accident

Fourteen and a half years old Abel Edward Abel, son of Charles and Maria Abel

of Trafalgar Square, Brook’s Bar was on his way home from work at Old Trafford

riding his bicycle on 14th August in the evening, when his bicycle skidded and

he was thrown under a heavy lurry.  Albert died instantly from his injuries

and is buried in the family grave in C5031 Church Plot 2 BK.


Death By Machinery

James Brown, aged 52 years of Back Clowes St, Ancoats was killed on the afternoon of Monday 12th March under shocking circumstances.  James was in the employment of Messrs. William Higgins & Sons, machinists, of Salford, and was in charge of a hoist worked by steam.  The hoist was generally stopped and a ladder was used to allow access for the applying of soft soap to the woodwork of the hoist as it rose to help it ascend,  on this occasion whilst in motion Mr Brown got into the hoist via a cross beam, and his head came into contact with a large pulley.  It is believed that being stunned he was unable to stop the hoist and was crushed to death.  His body was found immediately in an upright position, a shapeless mass not more than two feet high.  An inquest was held the same evening and a verdict of ‘Accidental Death’ returned. James leaves a wife and three children.  The funeral took place at Manchester General Cemetery on Thursday 15th March 1855 in Non Conformist Public Grave 33.

Death of a Child

George Jones, aged 2 years and 10 months, who lived with his mother in Back Brewery St, Harpurhey, son of Joseph Jones died. Wednesday 14th February, in the absence of his Mother, a neighbour heard the little boy crying and on entering the house found the little boy in flames, wrapping a quilt around him quickly extinguishing the burning clothing.  He was taken to the Manchester Infirmary where he died Monday 26th February. George was interred in Manchester General Cemetery on Sunday 4th March 1855 in Non Conformist Public Grave 15 U.G.

Child dies from Burns

Elizabeth Bramall, aged 9 years whose mother’s residence was 15 Hannah St, Rochdale Road, was home alone when her clothing caught fire, she was taken to the Royal Infirmary where she died.  Inquest held at Ridgefield on Monday 22nd January a verdict of accidental death was returned. Elizabeth was interred in Manchester General Cemetery Friday 26th January 1855 in Non conformist Public Grave 13 U.G. 

Caution to Mother after Child’s Death

Sunday 31st Dec Mrs Tipping who was separated from her husband John Tipping resided at Benson’s Court, Worsley Street Salford went out on Sunday morning leaving her two children alone at home. On her return home she was notified that the youngest child John Tipping aged 6 years old and been burnt due to playing with the fire.  John was taken to the Royal Infirmary where he died the same afternoon.  An inquest was held and a verdict of ‘Accidental Death’ was returned.  It was suggested that clothing worn by children were to be washed in alum solution (to fire-proof cloth) they would be less likely to catch fire or kindle into a flame. It was estimated that a large number of children could be saved by this cheap and simple method.  John Tipping was buried in Manchester general Cemetery on Sunday 7th January 1855 in Non Conformist Public Grave 10 U.G.

Run Over by Coal Cart

Thomas Hadfield, aged 62 years who had resided in the workhouse for about 4 weeks after being run over by a coal cart on Oldham Road, died from severe injuries to his arms and legs. Thomas was interred in Manchester General Cemetery on Monday 10th October 1853 in Non Conformist Public Grave 1340.1

Child Fatally Burnt

Edward Case Dye, aged 2 years, son of Thomas Dye a shoesmith of 77 Charter Street died on the Friday 15th October at home in care of a little girl for about ten minutes whilst the mother left the home. On returning home the mother found the child and his clothing severely burned. The little girl said the accident occurred when the child was playing with the poker stirring the fire. Edward was burned so severely that he died not long after.  An inquest’s verdict was ‘Accidental death.’  Edward Tipping was interred on Sunday the 17th October 1852 in Non Conformist Public Grave 8.

Child Fatally Burned

John Dutton aged 2years 3 months, son of Thomas Dutton a drover of 6 Burton Street died of burns after being found by a woman who lodged in the same house. His Mother had gone out leaving the little boy near the table as a workman was fixing a water tap near the door. The town doctor Mr Henson attended the child until he passed away. At the inquest it was stated that the Father’s Mother was a founder of two burial clubs – Methodist Burial Club and the Temperance Burial Club and had the child in both clubs as well as a life assurance society, with the view of supporting the children as she had had nine children herself, eight died and two stillborns.  She received £4 from each Burial club and £3 from the assurance society. A verdict of Accidental Death’ was returned, though the jury expressed an opinion that they found having children entering the system of several different clubs where large sums are paid was highly objectionable.   John Dutton was buried in the Manchester General Cemetery Tuesday   25th March 1853 in a Non Conformist Public Grave 2.

Boy Burned To Death

An inquest was held at the royal infirmary on a boy called William Livesley, eight years and three months in age, Son of William Livesley, barber, 50 Tib Street Manchester.  At home William was upstairs with other children when his Mother heard a scream, rushing upstairs to see, she found William in flames. She was assisted in extinguishing his burning clothing and taken to the Manchester Royal Infirmary but died on the Saturday.  A verdict from the Jury was ‘Accidental Death.’  William was buried Monday 31st March 1853 in Non Conformist Public Grave 138.9

Sudden Death

A drunken James Eastham aged 30 years, who’s occupation was a shoemaker, was led to the lodging house at 12 Spinning Field by two women on Saturday 12th January at 1am in the morning, left him in bed with an elderly man having paid lodgings for the night.  By Saturday afternoon after not arising the landlady went to check on him and found him to be dead. A post mortem was carried out and he was found to have serious diseases in the brain the right lung and the breast.  A coroner’s jury returned a verdict of ‘excessive drinking and disease of the heart.’  James Eastham was buried in the Manchester General Cemetery Friday 18th January 1853 in Non Conformist Public Grave 134.5

Died in the Ashton Canal

William Glover aged 22 years, a Tailor residing in Foster’s Court, Chapel St died on the evening of Sunday 10th June, being very drunk he jumped into the Ashton Canal, and drowned before he could be rescued.  He cohabited with a female who told the coroner’s jury that he was a man of drunken habits and had previously on quite a few occasions attempted ‘self destruction.’  William was buried in the Manchester General Cemetery on Friday 15th June 1848 in Non Conformist Public Grave 191.

Child drowned in a Well

On Thursday 8th April about 2.30pm a woman walking near a shallow well in Collyhurst near Mr Crompton’s paper works, saw the body of a child in the well, on approaching the child was face down in the water having fallen in the well head first.  The child was James Pollitt aged 1 year and 10 months, the Son of Emanuel Pollitt, a labourer residing in Vauxhall Row, Collyhurst Road and had left home a short time before being found in the well.  An inquest held on Saturday 10 April at the Royal Infirmary gave a verdict of ‘Accidental Death.’  James was interred in Manchester General Cemetery on Sunday 11th April 1852 in Non Conformist Public Grave 2 P.G.

Infant Child Run Over

A seventeen month old infant child by the name of Samuel Knott, son of Samuel Knott, a piecer, residing in Irwell Court, Irwell Street, was severely injured after running under the body of the shaft horse of a lurry driving along Gartside Street.  The driver did his best to try and stop the horses but sadly the second horse being more unmanageable could not be stopped and so one of the wheels of the lurry passed over the child’s body and caused serious injuries, Samuel was taken to the Royal Infirmary and after a few days passed away. An inquest held at the Infirmary on Monday 7th June came to a verdict of ‘Accidental Death’  Samuel was interred at Manchester General Cemetery on Tuesday 8th June 1852 in Non Conformist Public Grave 3 P.G.

Suffocated In a Boiler Ash-Pit

Robert Hinds, aged 29 years, a weaver, late of Ashton-Under-Lyne was found dead by John riley, engineman, at the bottom of the ash-pit on Saturday 6th March at 5.40am at Butterworth’s corn mill, Ancoats. The assumption was that Robert went down the ladder about eight feet deep into the ash-pit to gain warmth lying there all night, the vapours which arose suffocating him.  He was found to have a few slight burns which must have occurred after him being rendered insensible.  Robert had not lived with his wife for a couple of years and being a heavy drinker tended to beg rather than look for work. A verdict of ‘Accidental death’ was returned.  Robert was buried in the Manchester General Cemetery in a Non Conformist Public Grave 60 on Monday 8th March 1852.